Friday, May 10, 2013

Digital Citizenship in the Classroom

This week in my Technology for Education class, we have been discussing Digital Citizenship. Although I have heard the definition of it before presented in many different ways, I have never actually used the term "Digital Citizenship". Defined as "the norms of appropriate, responsible behavior with regard to technology use" (Ribble) a digital citizen uses technology safely, responsibly, critically, and proactively.

Elementary school students have probably had exposure to technology for a large portion of their lives, and even if they haven't they need to become aware of what is expected of them as a digital citizen. In the third grade, students are constantly searching the Internet and they probably have access to a variety of tools such as cellphones, iPads, iPods, computers and the social networking sites that can be accessed on any of these devices. A good digital citizen keeps in mind their "digital footprints" that they leave whenever they post or share anything on the Internet. They should also think critically about any impolite or rude comments that they post can be seen by anyone and could lead to cyber bullying. Information that is placed on the Internet can be accessed by anyone so it is important to remember to be proactive and think about their safety and keep secret information private.

There are a variety of resources available to teachers to teach students about digital citizenship. YouTube is a popular site that shares videos containing information on just about any topic, and there are websites specifically designated to teaching digital citizenship to children in the Early Childhood Environment. When accessing these sites, remember to keep your self safe and secure and keep in mind your digital footprint!

Check out my Prezi to learn more about Internet Safety!


*Works Cited

7 comments:

  1. Bobbi, your Prezi is very attractive and colorful! I liked the Disney video you used to talk about internet safety. Your ideas are useful and could definitely be further developed in an actual classroom. your Works Cited Link will not open :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked for me multiple times. I used Google Docs so it should work.

      Delete
  2. I really liked the point in your Prezi about the internet being like Halloween. I think that this a really good way to explain this idea for young children. I think that it is always good to relate new information in a way children can relate to prior knowledge. I also liked the survey you linked to. I think this would be a good prior knowledge for students to show what needs to be taught.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your prezi was very cute, and putting digital citizenship in ways children can understand and relate using Halloween and Disney was great. I also liked the picture in your blog post you could use it as a poster inside your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bobbi, I really like the video you included in your prezi. The Disney website was also really cool. I think you can use this information in your classroom, you can develop it into a great lesson! I really like your creativity in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bobbi, I thought you did a great job! I loved your prezi. I was super cute and very useful. the video was great and can be easily implemented in a classroom. Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bobbi, your whole blog post was really good! I liked your prezi and how you included a description of each website that you linked into the prezi. Also, I liked the video that you used, it was really cute and relatable for children.

    ReplyDelete